Characterization of Mid-Infrared Sources for integrated Photonic Sensors
HIGH TECH CAMPUS VILLACH, EUROPASTRASSE 12, 9524 VILLACH
Recent years have seen increasing efforts in pushing the size of optoelectronic devices down to the micro- and nanoscale. Miniaturized photonic sensors are of particular interest as they can potentially be integrated in small, cheap and portable devices. The objective of this thesis is to characterize existing photonic sensors on chip and at a wafer level with a special focus on integrated mid-IR light-sources. The candidate will have the chance to participate to the design of a new generation of sensors with enhanced performance in the mid-IR spectral region.
- gain a fundamental understanding of the principle and properties of the current devices
- improve the existing testbench for the characterization of integrated mid-IR light sources
- experimentally characterize novel mid-IR integrated sensors based on the investigated sources and other photonic elements (e.g., waveguides or photonic crystals), and analyze the measured data
- apply the theoretical and experimental knowledge acquired during the first part of the thesis to elaborate new concepts for mid-IR sensors
Silicon Austria Labs (SAL) is on the way to become a top European research center for electronic based systems. In the network of science and industry, we carry out research at the highest global research level and thus create the basis for new types of products and processes. SAL is divided into four divisions: Sensor Systems, RF Systems, Power Electronics and System Inte-gration, and is equipped by state-of the art equipment, consisting of comprehensive optical labs, C5/C8 cleanroom facilities, backend processes for micro-packaging, as well as custom prototyping facilities (custom electronic development, 3d printers, CNC-machinery, Inkjet printer).
Start Date / Duration / Contract
Start date (planned): January 2019;
Duration (planned): 6 Months
Payment: 1385€ gross (38.5 Hours/Week)
Place: Villach, Austria.
Profile / requirements
- Master student in physics, photonics, microsystem technology or similar fields
- Good teamwork skills, well organized work strategies
- Hands-on experience in an optics lab.
- Experience with control-, evaluation- and visualization software (e.g. Matlab, Python).
- Good communication skills in English.
- Advanced MS office skills.